Friday, November 22, 2013

The 50th Anniversary of JFK's Assassination

Fifty years ago today, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas and the conspiracy theories still abound. There are hundreds of books written, and several new books that are being sold today.  I have read most of the old books and plan on reading the new ones but I haven't found one that I think explains everything.

I worked for the Air Force Intelligence Agency as an Historian for some years and I have traveled to San Antonio, Texas, Intel Hill, to read some of the classified documents pertaining to JFK's assassination. Many of these documents are still classified after 50 years. Most of the people involved in the assassination have passed away, so why are these documents still classified? It has been my experience that if you have to keep something a secret after 50 years, then you really have something to hide.

I was 13 when the assassination occurred. I remember the grief and sadness of this nation. The motorcade films were shown on TV repeatedly, as if by playing them over and over it would become just another incorrect story for the evening news. Maybe it would all go away, maybe it would never have happened. Am I just another conspiracy theorists? I don't think so, but maybe to some I am. I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was involved but I don't believe he fired the shot that eventually killed JFK (the president wasn't killed instantly). I think Oswald's statement that he was a patsy is very true.

Lee Harvey Oswald was an opportunist. He wanted his name in lights, he wanted to be famous for something. He worked in the building where the rifle was found, so he had opportunity. But, he was a wife beater, a woman hater, and I believe he would have shot Jackie before he would have shot JFK. The rifle found and reputed to be the one that fired the shots was a cheap piece of junk. Oswald couldn't have fired any shots that made history that day with that rifle; I don't think he could have hit the broad side of a barn.

If you watch the movies you will see that the bullet that took off the back of JFK's head didn't come from behind him. A bullet makes a small entry wound and a large exit wound. This bullet had to have entered from in front and exited out the back. You can see Jackie trying to retrieve the skull and brainmatter from the back of the car, the FBI agent is trying to push her back into the car for safety. The Warren Commission states that this bullet passed through Governor Connelly and then passed through his car seat and entered JFK's throat. The magic bullet it's called was found laying on the stretcher in perfect condition.

I'm not an expert but I know from experience that a bullet would indeed be magic if it could do all that and still remain in perfect condition. I believe that shot was fired from the grassy knoll in front of the motorcade, by who or whom, I don't know.  JFK and Bobby had many enemies that would want to kill them, for many reasons, including J. Edgar Hoover. Dallas wasn't a safe place for the president in those days as many in Texas hated him over the oil price de-regulation. I'm not going to go into all the conspiracies and theories that abound. I can only say that it is my opinion that Oswald didn't assassinate JFK.  And, Jack Ruby killed Oswald to keep the truth from coming out.

I felt sorry for Jackie Kennedy in 1963 and I feel great sorrow for Carolina today. This nation missed  great opportunities because of JFK's assassination and the assassination of his brother Bobby. So, on this the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination, I take the time to remember and face the regrets I have personally for that day in Dallas and I hope that you will too.

1 comment:

  1. If only smartphones were around back then - amateur video is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete