Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ebola

I've been ask by several people if I'm going to post on Ebola. Well, I do not have any more medical knowledge about Ebola than the general public; but, when I was in high school, I worked as a Candy Stripper in my hometown hospital. Back in the 60s hospital were the most sanitized place people could go. Hospital floors were shiny, clean, and constantly washed down with chemical solutions to kill the germs. The last time I was in the local Albuquerque hospital the place was filthy. I was there for several days and saw a cleaning person only once and she didn't do much to clean the place.

So, if you can catch Ebola from coming into contact with someone who has it, or their bodily fluids anyway, I'd say bringing to our country, into our filthy hospitals, it's going to be passed around eventually.

My problem with this disease is that while it was an African only problem, the rest of the world didn't much care. Or, spend any time trying to eradicate it. Now that Americans have caught the disease, we are working our butts off to cure these folks and to find a vaccine. What is going to happen now that the medicine to treat it has been used up and the time period to make more is quite awhile? And, what about the fact that bacteria and viruses evolve quickly? What if it mutates and the means of infection is altered? Here we set with a possible pandemic and no medicine left to treat it.

My personal opinion--we should have left the infected individuals where they were and treated them there.


No comments:

Post a Comment